Tabs at Top of Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"take Flight" & "spread your Wings" Card - My First Gate Fold Card

The "take Flight" & "spread your Wings" Card is my first Gate Fold Card I've created. Watched a video Tues night on how to make one. Made a white cardstock base one for first try. Cut it correctly but my scoring was not correct. Second attempt using white cardstock cut correctly & scored correctly. My first idea was to make a green gate Fold Card but had no idea what I would use on the card. Went to bed. When I got up Wed morn I decided to use light blue & have a bird theme using my PaperTrey Ink stamps 'birds of a feather' that I bought recently but had not used.

view of card closed (used a paper clip)















view of card opened:














Entering this into following challenges:

Die Cuttin Divas Sketch Wk Ch #26
Sketch Week Challenge #26






Whimsical Wednesday Ch#16
Fun With Folds


Accent Essentials Cricut cartridge
1 1/2" white shaped image to stamp sentiment on for front of card &
1 3/4" blue shaped image for mat for sentiment on front of card

Have had the Accent Essentials cartridge for quite some time & not sure I used it before. I did not know that this cartridge had some nice images.

Paper:

Base 4 1/4" x 11" Blue cardstock
used Martha Stewart scoring board to score at: 2", 3 3/4", 7 1/4" & 9"

white & blue cardstock

2 panels of pattern paper on outside flaps of card
the paper Studio Birdwatcher Beauties 4" x 1 3/4"

white cardstock 4" x 3 1/4" for inside of card that 'spread your Wings' is stamped on

PaperTrey Ink birds of a feather clear stamp set #2077
Memento Tuxedo Black ink

Martha Stewart dove punch
Fiskars 1" circle punch to cut a 1" blue circle to put dove punch on

foam adhesives

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful gate fold card:) I sometimes have to sleep on it to whenn things are just not going together right. I love your choice of color, pretty birds and beautiful sentiment! Thanks for joining us at Whimsical Wednesdays!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has to have a do-over on occasion. :) I love the colours you used on this one - it's so soft and peaceful. Just lovely.
    Nita
    www.niftynitanotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! Oh my gosh! What a great great job! I absolutely love your take on this sketch! Thanks so much for sharing with us at DCD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING job with your card!I LOVE that great fold and pretty paper to!Thanks so much for playing along at Whimsical Wednesdays!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your card turned out really nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty gate fold! Love the paper. :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your nice comments. The way the gate fold card opens gave me the idea for the "spread your Wings" and the bird paper was bought at either Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often have do overs! But like they say "Practice makes perfect"! Good job on your first gate fold card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info on the Hero Arts challenge. I will go try and find it:) Thanks for the info:)
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, what an awesome card...love it. ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful card!! I love all the birds and the way it opens. Thanks for playing at Whimsical Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely in love with this card! I love the colors, the fold, and the birds! Beautiful! :)
    Amy
    redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Melissa, this is so absolutely beautiful!! Everything about it is just so gorgeous! Most of the time, my cards end up totally different than when I started, so I've been there :) I LOVE this :D

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and elegant card. I am loving all these fun folds. Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for joining us for the Whimsical Wednesday Challenge! Hugs- Glora

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing card! I need to add this fold to my to do list. Thanks for joining us at DCD. -Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Thanks for playing at Whimsical Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing. I've never seen this style of card before. Great job.Thanks for joining us at DCD.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful card! great job on the challenge and thanks for playing with us at Whimsical Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can totally relate to you about going to bed and then everything coming together the next day. I find myself doing that often or even walking away doing something else for an hour of so and then it comes to me. This card is so pretty, and I love the colors you used, it ties in so perfectly with the birds. Pretty sentiment, and really like the style card you chose! Thank you for playing along with us at Whimsical Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful take on this months challenge!!! It is so lovely and elegant!!! I wish it were mine... I love the pattern paper the most!!! I am so happy you shared it with us this week at DCD!!!

    Mistyrose
    Die Cutting Diva

    ReplyDelete