Tabs at Top of Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chinese New Year 2012 Year of the Dragon

Wanted to create a "Mythical Creature" for the
Craft Your Passion challenge but I wanted to use
a Pegasus creature which is my fav Mythical Creature.
Searched cricut.com and only Pegasus I found was on
Hannah Montana Cricut cartridge which I do not have.
Who would figure that there would be a Pegasus on a
Hannah Montana Cricut cartridge and it is a bee-utiful
one at that. I thought about using a horse image and
giving it wings and may work on that another time.

So, I figured this is the Year of the Dragon for
Chinese New Year and with that I could use it as a
table decoration and enter the Decorate to Celebrate
"Anything Goes" Any Themed Party challenge as well.
Looked on the Internet and saw that most showed a
Black Dragon but I decided to go with red and have
black as a shadow and use some pretty Chinese
Lettering paper as well to create my Clean & Simple
(CAS) Dragon table decoration.

My Dragon is not a card and I want to make sure that
it is understood because I know that Decorate to
Celebrate is for decorations and not cards unless they
state otherwise and the Dragon stands up with an easel
cardboard backing that I forgot to mention in my post.
Again, thanks everyone.


Not sure about the symbols on the Chinese paper as to
what they are but will see what I can find out. My daughter
is going to be taking a Chinese Art class this coming
semester so perhaps she knows or will be able to help me
find out.

The Designer's Calendar Cricut cartridge dragon is found
on the June Events shift option. Why June I do not know.
Also, there is no shadow option so I made one using my
Gypsy. Used the Advanced Hide option to hide most of
the cuts for the black piece. I added some gold to
highlight the cuts on the red piece and a gold gem for
the eye. My daughter bought me the pretty Chinese
Lettering paper from an art store near her college some
time ago.

The Dragon image cut was fun and I was so thinking it
would be hard or would tear in parts but it cut perfect on
the first try.

















Entering this into the following challenges:

1. Craft Your Passion #92 Mythical Creatures lim 3 entries 1st entry ends 1/15
Challenge 92 ~ Mythical Creatures


2. Decorate to Celebrate Ch#16 "Anything Goes" Any Themed Party ends 1/24

Challenge #16 -- "Anything Goes" -- Any Theme Party


3. Hooked On Craft Challenges #15 Try Something New unlim entries 2nd entry ends 1/14
my new is making the background for an image that had no background

Challenge 15


Designer's Calendar Dragon - Events shift option for JUNE
x=0.25, y = 6.56 6.68" x 5" - red
x = 0.08, y = 0.58 701" x 5.25" - black

Paper:
cardstock: black & red
Chinese Lettering gold on red - patterned paper

gem - gold - eye
glitter gel pen - gold - for highlighting cuts
Scotch ATG adhesive
small adhesive dot - to attach gold gem eye

15 comments:

  1. A fabulous card.Thanks for sharing this with us at Craft your Passion this week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this is so awesome, Melissa!! I love the background paper!! Is that the Chinese symbol for happiness? Great card!! Thanks so much for playing along at Decorate to Celebrate!

    Lisa
    Decorate to Celebrate DTM
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card. Thanks for playing along with us at Decorate to Celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Dragon, very impressive!
    Trish Munro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card Melissa- Like the dragon image- never had seen that one before. :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion. Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone. Not sure about the symbols on the Chinese paper as to what they are but will see what I can find out. My daughter is going to be taking a Chinese Art class this coming semester so perhaps she knows or will be able to help me find out. My Dragon is not a card and I want to make sure that is understood because I know that Decorate to Celebrate is for decorations and not cards unless they state otherwise and the Dragon stands up with an easel cardboard backing that I forgot to mention in my post. Again, thanks everyone. The Dragon image cut was fun and I was so thinking it would be hard or would tear in parts but it cut perfect on the first try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Dragon, Melissa. I like it. I like anything that has an asian artistic twist. It would make a great wall hanging. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion Challenge this week.
    Hugz,
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the wall hanging idea. Maybe I'll mat & frame it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice dragon!
    Carri~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome dragon! love the colors! parkernana4@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!awesome dragon Melissa!! Thank you for joining us over at Decorate to Celebrate!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great easel, I feel like I should take it with when I go for Chinese food! TFS
    Creative Wishes,
    Claire
    www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm popping over from Decorate To Celebrate! Your dragon came out beautiful! Great job!
    Warm Hugs, Sheryl

    ReplyDelete