Tabs at Top of Blog

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rodeo Western Card

Couple yrs ago hubby, daughter & I enjoyed 1 wk during  Summer vacation at a Dude Ranch in CO. We were assigned horses to ride each day which means we rode the same horse every day for trail rides & for the final rodeo as well that we participated in. One of my favs watching the children was the 'Boot' race. They took the children's boots and put them in the rodeo area and the children had to ride their horses in, find their boots, put their boots on & ride back to their team. The adults had relay races. Hubby & I were on opposing teams. One relay was 'The Mail Bag' in which you had to hand off the Western Mail Satchel from one team player to another. Another relay was 'The Water Jug' in which you had to ride across, get a cup of water, carry the water cup to the other side & pour the water in a jug and whichever team filled up the jug first won. There was 1 more relay race but I do not recall the details and perhaps that is because my team won the 'The Mail Bag' & 'The Water Jug' relay races and only lost the other relay race that I do not recall.

Created this Western card using the Paper Studio Wild West stamps, Stampin' Up punch for sentiment tag, twine/rope, metal cactus charm & Tim Holtz paper distresser.

Card is 4 3/4" square.

Stamped the horse on Kraft cardstock. Used Memento Rich Cocoa for inking the edges of the Kraft cardstock. Used TH paper distresser to distress the blue core'dinations cardstock for a frayer blue jeans look. Stamped the sentiment. Punched the sentiment out with SU Decorative Label punch. Used twine/rope that I braided. Attached a metal cactus charm. 

Yes, those are Panda pins on my cowboy hat. Both were gifts from a friend.
























Supplies List 

charm: Plaid metal charm cactus
inks: Memento -  Rich Cocoa, Tuxedo Black
paper: cardstock - Kraft - base 43/4" x 4 3/4", core'dinations blue
stamp: the Paper Studio Wild West
Stampin' Up: punch - Decorative Label
Tim Holtz: paper distresser
twine/rope: brown

Entering this into the following challenges:

8/14 Cute Card Thurs Ch281 Die-ing to Punch unlim 8/8
8/14 MFP Insp Ch23 Western Decor 5E(#4) 8/8


8/16 2 Sisters Ch156 Fav Embellishments unlim fav emb - twine/rope & charm 8/10 

8/17 Glitter N Sparkle CH45 Summer Holiday/Summer unlim 8/11
8/17 Pile It On #32 Outdoors unlim 8/11
8/17 Pink By Design Round out your Summer Use something round unlim charm hook is round 8/12

8/18 Craft Your Passion Ch175 Don't Get Your Twine in a Tangle 3E(#3) 8/12

8/19 Cuttin & Stampin Ch37 Square Card Ch 3E(#2) 8/14


8/21 Paper-Crafting Journey Distressed/Vintage Ch 3E(#2) 8/8

8/27 Aud Sentiments Ch87 Anything but a Birthday Card 5E(#4) 8/14

8/30 Ribbon Carousel RCC84 Wk 1 Summertime Fun unlim 8/6

8/31 DLART Thankful Thurs Aug Linky Ch Anything Goes unlim 8/1
8/31 Just B Creative Anything Goes unlim 8/1

13 comments:

  1. A very cute card. I love the bronc rider. It reminds me of my young grandsons rodeoing. Great memories. That dude ranch sounds like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for joining us in the Speedy TV Inspiration challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Adorable card - and I really like the colors. Thanks for joining us at the Inspirational Challenge and hope to see you next week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post and the cute detail on your card. Thank your for sharing with us at PCJ.
    Laine- DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is grand and your story is great - I am not fond of riding horses - I do not like heights and when I was a teenager I was so excited to ride but my horse took off so fast to get back to the barn it scared me! Ever since then I have been afraid of riding horses - glad it worked out for you and your family -the relay races sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like horse back riding. Hubby & I took lessons when we first moved to TX. I had a horse named
      Diablo, a fiery horse true to his name. We went on a trail ride to South Fork where the Dallas tv
      show is filmed. Our instructor told us that when we headed back the horses would know the way
      back and some may even race back. As soon as she got the words out my horse took off with me.
      I managed to keep hold of the reins & stay on the horse. The instructor took off after me and tried
      to cut my horse off and I was sure it was going to throw me off. I managed to slow it down some
      by making turns and circling some and keeping my boots in the stirrups. Got back to the barn way ahead of everyone including the instructor. That is the good news. The sad news is
      that Diablo died of colic during the wk and when I came the following Sat I found out Diablo had
      died. I was always assigned Diablo because noone else wanted to ride him and somehow the
      instructor would always assign everyone else and that left Diablo & me. You'd think I'd not like
      horseback riding but other than being sore from the fast race I enjoyed it. When we were at the
      Dude Ranch we would ride after breakfast. We learned to put the saddle & reins on but they
      would do it for you if you wanted and if you did it they would always ck to make sure it was
      done properly so no injuries. The lessons we took were Western style and we had a couple
      times we rode bareback. My friend I use to work with at Hallmark daughter has a farm and
      I've horseback rode there.

      Delete
  5. Wow this is a great card. I like CAS way you made it.
    Thanks for joining us at Craft your Passion.
    xxx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. great card thank you for joining us at glitter n sparkle good luck

    lindyloo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Melissa - I enjoyed reading your story! You've made another lovely card, and it fits our summer theme perfectly over at Glitter n Sparkle Challenge Blog. Thank you for playing along with us - and best wishes in the draw!

    KT Fit Kitty, DT Glitter n Sparkle
    http://ktdesigns2013.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to say... thank you for the heads up on my win the other day at CRAFT. Really appreciated it :-)

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for joining us at PCJ for our Distress/Vintage challenge Karen P, Paper Crafting Journey Design Team http://stampinginpink.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your creative staging of this card made me giggle. I love how you used a cowboy hat as an easel. Love the card, especially the distressed edges. Thanks for sharing at Craft Your Passion. Be sure to join us this week in our flowers challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card! Thanks for joining us at Cuttin and Stampin!
    Doris :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool card!! Thanks so much for participating in our PILE IT ON challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete